Monday, April 5, 2010

Fabric Softener

So...I've been hearing that vinegar could be used for fabric softener. I looked into it and found that the smell doesn't "stick" to the clothes. Last week I finally finished a bottle of store "bought" softener (I actually didn't pay anything for it. It was on sale and I had a coupon so it was FREE!!) and figured I would give the vinegar route a try. I just folded my first load of laundry using the homemade version and there was no trace of the vinegar smell at all. In fact, it doesn't smell like it in the bottle I used either. So for now it's a keeper in my book!!

This is the recipe I used:
2 Cups White Vinegar
2 Cups Baking Soda
4 Cups Water
Combine slowly and carefully over sink. The baking soda and vinegar will fizz.Pour into plastic bottle, cover, and shake.


*Hint - Reuse your "Downy" bottle.
Use 1/4 cup in the final rinse or in a "Downy Ball".
I halfed this as well because my bottle wasn't big enough! And though it says to mix it in the sink, next time I will use the tub. I still created a volcano and instead of spewing up, it shot out the side, straight over the counter and onto the floor LoL!!
UPDATE: I dont know exactly how to fix my problem, but the baking soda seems to clump up in the bottom of the laundry softener holder thing in the middle of the washing machine. I guess I'll start adding it straight to the wash now and see how that goes.

1 comments:

Christi said...

LOL @ the volcano!

very cool :) Ive used vinegar in the wash with my diapers.. havent tried it with my clothes.
You are inspiring me!

and yay for the coupon and free fabric softener! I love when i find awesome coupons like that!! :)

Post a Comment